Monday, July 18, 2011

"Say When"

My grandfather loved a good joke. He had wonderful sense of humor, and enjoyed playing around with us kids.

One of his favorite tricks to play?

I would ask for a glass of juice. Or milk in my cereal. I loved the cereal they had...it was some kind of oat or bran in the shape of little 'O's, but I would call it dog food because that's what it looked like to me. So he would pour the milk, and instruct me to "say when" it was full enough.

There'd be that mischievous twinkle in his eye, and his lip would try to twist up despite his attempts to keep a straight face.

"That's enough!"

The milk would get dangerously close to the top of the bowl.

"That's plenty!"

The milk would spill out of the bowl on the kitchen table.

"Stooooop!!"

And still he'd pour. Why? I hadn't said "when."

No comments:

Post a Comment